Detroit’s Stone Soap Building Set for Redevelopment
- Mar 06, 2017
Detroit—The City of Detroit, in collaboration with the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation (DEGC), has launched the request for proposals to acquire and redevelop the historic Stone Soap Building. The former industrial property comprises three contiguous structures–totaling 88,369 square feet–built on a 0.76-acre lot.
Located between Franklin and Riopelle Streets, in Detroit’s East Riverfront district, the western the middle sections of the Stone Soap property were built in 1907, while the eastern section was added between 1927 and 1929.
According to the announcement made by local authorities, proposals should acknowledge the opportunity for heightened vertical density and innovative design appropriate for the waterfront area. The winning offering should promote the heritage and historic character in the Franklin Street area. Successful respondents will also be required to have a strong track record in similar creative-adaptive reuse projects. The deadline for submissions is May 1, with a final selection planned for the end of June.
The redevelopment of the Stone Soap property is part of a broader urban modernization initiative. The City of Detroit, DEGC and the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy created a framework plan to transform East Riverfront into an inclusive environment with new greenways and parks, enhanced public access to the Detroit River and pedestrian-friendly residential and mixed-use developments. The project is set to be implemented in 2017 and 2018.
Image via Google Street View