Historic New Orleans Building Changes Hands

A partnership between Wampold Cos. and The Lemoine Co. purchased the some 500,000-square-foot complex.
Whitney Bank Building

Wampold Cos. and The Lemoine Co. have acquired the roughly 500,000-square-foot Whitney Bank Building Complex from Hancock Whitney Corp.

According to Mike Wampold, CEO of Wampold Cos., the new owners intend to transform the asset into a mixed-use property comprising of a hotel, multifamily units, a restaurant and retail, with construction expected to commence in mid-2020. The project is estimated to cost roughly $100 million, Nola reports. 

The landmark property consists of seven buildings in a four-square-block region in the middle of the metro’s CBD and is located at 228 St. Charles Ave., two blocks from Canal Street and less than a mile from the French Quarter. Additionally, the asset is adjacent the Place St. Charles office complex and the JW Marriott Hotel. Until recently, it served as headquarters for the Hancock Whitney Bank. Completed in 1910, the historic building is situated within an Opportune Zone