Historic St. Louis Property Completes Redevelopment
- Oct 14, 2019
Confluent Development has wrapped up the redevelopment of a historic property in St. Louis. The project entailed the remodeling of a 4,200-square-foot BMO Harris Bank, which remained operational during the renovation process, and a newly constructed, 10,000-square-foot Walgreens store. Earlier this year, the drugstore giant revealed plans to close roughly 200 Walgreens stores in the U.S.
The developer, who is also the owner of the project, broke ground in April 2018. Located at 2301 S. Kingshighway Blvd., in the Reber Place Historic District within the city’s Southwest Garden neighborhood, the site formerly housed Southwest Bank in a 1905-built structure. Confluent Development preserved the historical facade of the original building along Kingshighway Boulevard and redeveloped the remainder of the underutilized land, making the infill project the first of its kind in St. Louis.
Additionally, the developer donated a third building to Tower Grove Neighborhoods Community Development Corp., a local nonprofit that promotes affordable housing, responsible development and diverse character within the neighborhoods around Tower Grove Park. The project also features a fourth vacant site available for a potential future tenant. In 1953, the location was the site of a famous bank robbery, which was later made into “The Great St. Louis Bank Robbery,” filmed on-site in 1959 starring Steve McQueen.
Walgreens relocated from a former location within the neighborhood. The new store features a drive-thru pharmacy, while the bank includes a drive-thru ATM. Rosemann & Associates served as the architect, with PARIC Corp. serving as the contractor. Pace Properties is leading marketing efforts for the property’s available pad.