Landmark Building in Murray Hill Sold for $24.5 Million
- Mar 20, 2015
One of the oldest buildings in the Murray Hill section of Manhattan is now under new ownership.
As reported by the Commercial Observer, the seven-story, temple-like structure sitting at the corner of Lexington Avenue and East 30th Street was sold by Lexington Landmark Properties for $24.5 million. The new owner is David Berley, Chairman of real estate firm Walter & Samuels, and Cohen Real Estate represented the seller in the transaction.
Designed by Harvey Wiley Corbett in Neo-Roman style and partially funded by John D. Rockefeller, 160 Lexington Avenue was built in 1908-1909 to house the New York School of Applied Design for Women—an early design school founded by Philanthropist Ellen Dunlop Hopkins in 1892 as part of the Arts and Crafts Movement. In 1977 the building was designated a New York City landmark.
After changing owners several times, 160 Lexington was acquired by Touro College and converted into classroom space in 1991. The same news source reported another sale in December 2006, when the landmark was sold to Lexington Landmark Properties for $8.2 million.
The entire building—which offers approximately 21,700 square feet of space—is currently occupied by high-end fashion retailer Dover Street Market. According to The Real Deal, Dover Street Market signed a 15-year lease for the space in 2012.
Image via PropertyShark