Nashville Int’l Airport Unveils $1B Overhaul, Adds On-Site Hotel
- Aug 02, 2016
By Adelina Osan, Associate Editor
Nashville, Tenn.—The Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority (MNAA) recently unveiled expansion plans worth $1 billion for the Nashville International Airport. Phased over the next five to seven years, the project dubbed BNA Vision includes the expansion of parking spaces, concourses and lobby areas, adding new gates, developing a state-of-the-art International Arrivals Building, increasing federal security screening lanes, as well as the construction of an on-site hotel.
BNA Vision’s funding will come from bonds, federal and state aviation grants, Passenger Facility Charges (PFCs) and other airport funds.
As Greater Nashville‘s population is expected to surpass 2.5 million people by 2035, the airport’s passenger traffic will grow from 12 million to more than 20 million. BNA Vision is designed to meet the demands of this growth in terms of international travelling, improved security, parking and accessibility.
“We are experiencing this rapid growth firsthand as we set new air passenger records every week, month and year. The projects comprising our BNA Vision are designed to meet the demands of this growth and address everything from international travel, to improved security wait times to more gates, parking and ease of access—all with passenger safety and convenience in mind. We’re excited to share this vision and provide a glimpse of how BNA will transform over the next several years,” Rob Wigington, MNAA president & CEO, said in prepared remarks.
“With Nashville’s current growth trajectory, the Airport Authority is planning ahead to ensure we continue providing first-rate customer service and top-notch transportation facilities for our region,” said Bobby Joslin, MNAA Board of Commissioners chair.
The overhaul project includes:
- Construction of a six-story parking garage south of the existing Short Term Garage with 2,000 spaces, scheduled for completion by fall 2018;
- Construction of a state-of-the-art International Arrivals Building to accommodate the increase of international travelers. The project is estimated for completion by 2018;
- Expansion of the ticketing and baggage claim areas;
- Expansion of Concourse D with additional gates to increase capacity and attract new airlines and services, as well as new retail and dining offerings;
- Expansion of Concourse B to increase the footprint for additional gate capacity, retail and dining options and amenities;
- Construction of the Grand Ole Lobby to comfortably accommodate airline ticketing, baggage check-in and federal security screening;
- Potential for Multi-Modal Transit to link BNA to future Nashville transit systems;
- Construction of an on-site 200- to 300-key hotel;
- Relocation of Donelson Pike to improve traffic circulation and terminal access.
Image courtesy of MNAA