Ronald McDonald House Charities Of Baltimore To Move To A Larger Location, In Jonestown
- Nov 17, 2014
By Adrian Maties, Associate Editor
The Ronald McDonald House Charities of Baltimore is moving to the Jonestown neighborhood. The non-profit corporation recently announced its plan to relocate to a new, larger building, to be constructed at 1200 E. Baltimore Street.
Since it opened, on June 28, 1982, the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Baltimore has provided a home to more than 36,000 families of critically ill children receiving treatment at hospitals in the area. It operates as an extension of care for six Baltimore hospitals: the University of Maryland Medical Center, R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, Johns Hopkins Hospital, The Rubin Institute at Sinai Hospital, Kennedy Krieger Institute and Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital.
The quality of service at Baltimore area hospitals has increased in recent years. As a result, more and more families have been coming to the city for treatment and demand for rooms at the Ronald McDonald House has also increased.
The current house is located at 635 W. Lexington Street, on the campus of the University of Baltimore. It only offers about 22,000 square feet of space and, although it is still functional, its 37 rooms are not enough to accommodate the growing demand.
The building at 1200 E. Baltimore Street will have 60,000 square feet of space and will more than double the capacity of the current house. Construction is expected to start in 2015. According to the Baltimore Business Journal, The Ronald McDonald House will invest $20 million to build the new facility.
“We are excited about plans for a new House, which will accommodate more than twice the number of families as our current location and meet the urgent and growing demand that we have to be a home away from home for many more families than we can currently serve,” Sandy Pagnotti, president of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Baltimore, said in a statement for the press. “Our new location in the Jonestown neighborhood presents an opportunity for us to not only continue this mission, but to also play a vital role in the revitalization of this neighborhood.”
Photo credit: www.rmhcbaltimore.org