The Heart of the Pearl Starts Ticking Again
- Nov 24, 2015
By Anca Gagiuc, Associate Editor
After years of delays and hope, the Pearl’s Hotel Emma has debuted in San Antonio. Boasting a new style that includes pieces of the Pearl’s history, Hotel Emma focuses on emphasizing Pearl’s atmosphere rather than making its own name.
The 146-key hotel located at 136 East Grayson is housed in a former 19th century brewery on the Museum Reach of the River Walk and is 1.5 miles from downtown. The brewery was built in 1894 and bears the name of Emma Koehler, the wife of the brewery’s founder, Otto Koehler. The hotel was designed by renowned firm Roman and Williams, famous for mixing historic and modern elements.
Guest at the culinary boutique hotel can choose out of 146 rooms including 11 suites and plenty of meeting rooms and courtyards. Amenities include a Culinary Concierge—dedicated to provide guests with intimate access to South Texas Culture, a complimentary single-origin, slow-pour coffee in the morning, in-room robes, private terraces with fireplaces, a 24-hour fitness center and a library.
The dining facilities at Hotel Emma are managed by Chef John Brand and include Supper, Larder and Sternewirth. Supper is an American Eatery which feels like part farm table, part bistro table, and has a menu of fresh seasonal greenmarket cuisine. Larder is located in the old brewing cellars and offers fine groceries, provisions, wine, beer, baked goods and other delicacies to eat in or carry out. In the Sternewirth Bar and Clubroom guests can enjoy a cocktail, a good glass of wine or a sturdy craft beer as well as small plates.
Image courtesy of Hotel Emma