Upgrades Underway at Palmilla Beach Resort & Golf in Texas
- Nov 07, 2018
McCombs Properties, developer of Palmilla Beach Resort & Golf Community on Mustang Island, Texas, has started renovations to the resort’s golf amenity. Last year, Hurricane Harvey dramatically impacted the facility.
“Last August, Hurricane Harvey took a heavy toll on the golf course, effectively destroying the greens and irrigation systems,” McCombs Properties Executive Vice President Harry Adams said in prepared remarks. “As with other community assets damaged by the storm, we chose not to settle for merely rebuilding what existed before the storm, but to improve the community and our guest experience by building something better, more appropriate for the tourism-based market.”
Over the past nine months, the Palmilla development team has collaborated with land planners, architects and the national leadership of Troon Golf on the best renovation methods. They decided to redesign the golf offering and make it more sustainable.
For beginners and purists alike
The new design will include 30 holes and retain the original driving range. For the golf purist, there will be a nine-hole course encompassing the original Palmilla course. The natural landscape will be preserved as much as possible and new greens, tee boxes and cart paths will be incorporated. At the edge of the resort, between the community and highway, an area of land will be redeveloped into “The PlayGround at Palmilla Beach”. This venue is set to include:
- Putting course—an 18-hole course with grass greens, bunkers, dunes, music and access to food and beverage
- Short course—three short holes
- Events lawn—a flexible zone that will serve as a venue for concerts, games or competitions
- Food and beverage space—a hospitality feature located on the lakeshore and at the center of The PlayGround at Palmilla Beach
- Games area—a playground for children with themed attractions and family-oriented games
Construction of the new nine-hole course at Palmilla Beach Golf Club and The PlayGround at Palmilla Beach has already begun, with anticipated openings in early spring 2019 and fall 2019, respectively.
Images courtesy of McCombs Properties