USM HQ Receives LEED Silver Certification
- Jun 28, 2012
USM Inc., a subsidiary of EMCOR Group, Inc. which provides interior and exterior facilities maintenance programs, was recently awarded LEED Silver CI (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design for Commercial Interiors) certification for its headquarter building in Norristown. The $9 million facility replaced the former Sears department store at 1800 Markley Street and opened in October 2011, two years after work started at the site.
The award demonstrates USM’s commitment to promoting green practices and creating a sustainable headquarters well lit with natural light and providing the highest level of comfort for its employees.
In order to receive the LEED Silver certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), USM and its contractors implemented a complex sustainability program at the Norristown office facility. Some of the green amenities at the site include:
- Solar blinds, skylights and daylight harvesting systems
- A green roof that reduces storm water runoff by 50 to 90 percent and minimizes heating and cooling costs
- High-efficiency HVAC systems, lighting and Energy Star appliances
- Bike racks and showers to encourage employees to bike to work, as well as preferred parking spaces for alternative fuel vehicles
- Reused and recycled construction materials
- Low-emitting adhesive, sealants, paints and flooring systems
Image courtesy of USM website