W. R. Grace & Co. Opens New, LEED Silver Certified Headquarters in Columbia
- Nov 17, 2014
On October 30, W. R. Grace & Co. celebrated the opening of its new global headquarters building. The new facility is the centerpiece of the Maryland–based chemical conglomerate’s 160-acre campus in Columbia.
William Russell Grace founded the company in 1854, in Peru. W. R. Grace & Co. currently operates in 40 different countries and employs more than 6,800 people worldwide. Just this year, the company added 74 new employees to its Maryland operations, bringing the state total to almost 1,200. W. R. Grace & Co. said that, in 2013, the average annual compensation for a Maryland employee was over $95,000.
The company has been present in Maryland since the 1950s. According to Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Fred Festa, over the past three years W. R. Grace & Co. has invested $100 million in the state, to upgrade equipment at its Curtis Bay manufacturing plant, build new offices, or to renovate labs at its 160-acre Columbia campus.
The new global headquarters building stands three stories tall and offers 90,000 square feet of office space. It was designed and constructed to strict environmental standards and it incorporates many products from the Grace Construction Products division, including waterproofing, fireproofing and concrete materials. At the grand opening ceremony, W. R. Grace & Co. announced that the new building was recently certified by the U.S. Green Building Council as LEED Silver. Sustainable design features include a pervious concrete parking area, high-efficiency lighting and HVAC, and systems to reuse storm water for irrigation.
Photo credit: W. R. Grace & Co.